Why do we need a new library?
We have been in the same space for 30 years--we've grown but our space has not!
- On average, we have nearly 80,000 visitors a year, with roughly 75,000 items circulated annually, all in 3,000 square feet.
- We provide free access to internet and computers, with 12,000 computer hours logged annually, but with no separate area for computer use
- Due to lack of space, there is no separation between ages or designated places for quiet reading and programming needs. We provide 500 free community programs annually to all ages, and it gets noisy!
- Our books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, etc. are stacked floor to ceiling with absolutely no storage
Why should I support the library? What is its value?
Libraries are important cornerstones of a healthy community. We have a wonderful editorial written by one of our library's staff members linked on the Berryville Public Library's website that explains the tremendous value a library provides to its community.
What will happen to the old library building once the library moves?
The library currently is located in a county building. Once the library moves to its new building, the county will use the old building to meet other county needs.
When will we get a new library?
Our fundraising for the new library building started in 2020 and will end in 2025. We will break ground in 2025. If the 2.5 million we need has not been raised by that point, we will adjust the building plan to build with the monetary resources we have.
Why can't we just raise taxes to fund a new library?
Current tax support can only be used for operations of the library and cannot be used for constructing a new building. It will take individual, corporate, & civic donations for a new library to become a reality.
The Friends are a 501c3 charity, and all donations are tax-deductible. We have several tiers of giving levels, which provide naming opportunities for major donors.
What can I do to help the library raise money?
- Join the Friends!
- Help us publicize the need for a new library and the fundraising campaign!
- Volunteer to assist us with our fundraising efforts!
- And, of course, donate when you can! :)
Who did the sketches and illustrations on the website?
All sketches and plans of the proposed building are courtesy of our architect, Butch Berry. The other illustrations are courtesy of Kelly Ramirez.